POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : fillets and rounded corners : Re: fillets and rounded corners Server Time
29 Apr 2024 12:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fillets and rounded corners
From: lelama
Date: 1 Sep 2016 13:15:00
Message: <web.57c860adc06f3de321263ef70@news.povray.org>
Thank you Christoph for the remark. I didn't have transparency,
semi-transparency in mind.

If it's not possible for each pixel to know the corresponding impact point, the
idea I have in mind won't work,

Thus I discuss with the hypothesis that it is possible to know the impact point
and the normal at the impact point of the ray ( maybe after tweaking the povray
code) .
Please forgive me in advance if some of the ideas are too naive. I don't know
the code of Povray, and there are obviously many difficulties that I'm not aware
of.

It seems to me that the visual inconsistancy comes in the boolean operations
at the intersection of two surfaces. For each
pixel, we associate the impact surface. If we find 2 *adjacent* pixels which
involve two different surfaces which appear in a boolean operation, then
there may be a visual problematic corner at this pair of points.

Among all these potential problematic junctions, we need to eliminate some of
them depending of some parameters ( distance between the impact points,
variation of the normal...)

We end up with a list of problematic pairs of points. Starting from a
problematic pair of point, which are more or less on the fillets, we construct a
zone of pixels around this pair corresponding to pixels whose impact is in a
zone that we want to smooth.

We then reach a list of pixels corresponding to zones that we want to smooth.
Then we apply an averaging filter on each zone.

There are obviously plenty of technical details to be fixed. This is just a
starting idea to round the corners without computing intersections with meshes.

Laurent.