POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hardware : Re: Hardware Server Time
6 May 2024 01:22:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hardware
From: green
Date: 29 Aug 2016 10:10:01
Message: <web.57c4411115fbfc0b3f0c86ab0@news.povray.org>
> I might be able to get something like a Dell PowerEdge M905
>
> with 4 x AMD Opteron or 4 x Xeon 2.00GHz/18M/6.40
>

> Can I effectively run POV-Ray on something like this?
> What OS, pros / cons, etc...
>

> Thanks   :)

i do not have any specific knowledge about that unit but it appears to be a
blade so it would require an enclosure.  also it appears to be for opteron 8000
series; the best of that series that passmark (cpubenchmark.net) lists is 8439
se which has a somewhat insipid score.
  also what alain mentioned, and that these servers sometimes have proprietary
drivers.  using linux flavors could be problematic.