POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Calculating / read from file vertices in mesh2 instead of typing them in? : Calculating / read from file vertices in mesh2 instead of typing them in? Server Time
28 Apr 2024 20:24:50 EDT (-0400)
  Calculating / read from file vertices in mesh2 instead of typing them in?
From: defferl
Date: 29 Aug 2016 07:25:00
Message: <web.57c41a653a03ee8e966b8c530@news.povray.org>
Hi there,

I have to visualize 3d data as some kind of surface. "height_field" often does
the job, especially the combination with the "function" keyword is superb.

However, right now I ran into a problem where "function" does not work anymore,
since the surface looks like a tea-pot (i.e. vertices are distributed more or
less freely in space, distances between x- and z-values are not constant and
there may be several y-values for any x/z-combination.

Instead of typing in hundreds of vertices (mistakes, time, ...) I thought of
either
a) calculating them within the .pov file, or
b) calculate them outside, export results into a file and have povray read the
file.

I already finished both, but still I have to use something like
vertex_vectors
{
  4,
  <vx[0][0],vy[0][0],vz[0][0]>, <vx[1][0],vy[1][0],vz[1][0]>,
  <vx[0][1],vy[0][1],vz[0][1]>, <vx[1][1],vy[1][1],vz[1][1]>,
}
to get the pre-calcualted data into the mesh2 command. As I have hundreds of
vertices, this is still some awful work!

Is there no way to use #for loops or something else to "fill" the mesh2 with
data directly?

Best,
Guenther