POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Stochastics expertise needed : Re: Stochastics expertise needed Server Time
17 May 2024 23:32:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stochastics expertise needed
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 26 Aug 2016 18:40:01
Message: <web.57c0c5018629941b5e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
"LanuHum" <Lan### [at] yandexru> wrote:

> Tomorrow you will be asked to another location formula. The day after tomorrow
> another. In each case the formula. Tired, you want to relax.
> I have shown in the screenshots universal way: image_map.
> Draw Mandelbrot grayscale on any object - no problem. :)))))

Yes, my Russian friend, but we ask many things of our good friend Christoph, and
he works hard for us to deliver the goods.
I'm always glad to help a friend, and I always look forward to seeing your
interpretations and experiments, translating between Blender and POV-Ray.

I think that he wants a function, an algorithm, that can be called in the source
code of POV-Ray, in order to perform a certain task.
It needs to be a method whereby any given point can be selected at random, and
the function will evaluate a probability density on the sphere.
It seems a lot to me like a highlight model.

I had many things to do today, and did the best I could on short notice, just to
illustrate the basic idea.  With some refinements, perhaps this evolve into
what's needed.

I am not sure I understand the banding on your image map method.

I think clipka needs something that is a very dense cluster at y=1 and hardly
anything at all near y=0.  I'm not sure my model is accurate, but it was a quick
brainstorming exercise.