POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Null or empty object / mesh : Re: Null or empty object / mesh Server Time
1 May 2024 16:11:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Null or empty object / mesh
From: Mr
Date: 22 Aug 2016 07:15:00
Message: <web.57badde62494daf716086ed00@news.povray.org>
Zeger Knaepen <zeg### [at] povplacecom> wrote:
> > Thanks, I made it a 0 radius sphere with all suggested attributes
>
> Is there another use for a null than to keep track of a location after
> some transformations and/or linking other objects to that location? And
> isn't that something that can much easier be done in POV-Ray by
> declaring and vtransforming a vector?
>
> I'm just curious why you would need a null/empty object in POV-Ray.

It's not totally unrelated to Shrodinger's cat... But not quite the same thing
either.

Vertices may be here in a mesh2 or not.
For the exporter from Blender to POV it is possible to have a mesh object from
which the user will have deleted all vertices, this user may not be willing to
add anthing to the scene, but we have to assume that he does it on purpose, and
would indeed want to keep track of the transformations of some point, BUT he
uses an interface and doesn't even want to know what a vector or a matrix is.
Also, the transformations would have to happen through all the same operators as
the standard geometry exported. because creating a particular case may have
inconsistant results.

Would a declared vector be able to pass through all the transforms a mesh2
object can ever go through? if so I was wrong and should use a vector, but if I
HAVE to add a vtransform or anything that all standard geometry can't go
through, then I can't use it, because it's not a mesh... but it's a mesh. :-)