POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mesh spheres : Re: Mesh spheres Server Time
27 Apr 2024 18:52:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh spheres
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 18 Aug 2016 15:10:00
Message: <web.57b6070161738465b488d9aa0@news.povray.org>
> The thing that bothers me about most sphere approximations by
> subdivision is that they are typically geared towards keeping the
> triangles as close to equilateral as possible, while for some
> applications it may be more important to aim for triangles of uniform
> size (or, more precisely, for triangles corresponding to uniform solid
> angles).

I found a nice discussion about that a while back, here:
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/10/02/ipcc-climate-a-product-of-lies-damn-lies-and-statistics-built-on-inadequate-data
/#comment-1435364

> To that end, I suspect a pentakis dodecahedron (aka kisdodecahedron; a
> dodecahedron with each face split up into five triangles, for a total of
> 60 triangles) might be a better starting point.

That's indeed what I did with the code I posted for the "dodecahedron" in pbsf.
Though as you pointed out, it needs some edits.