POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dragon Lady : Re: Dragon Lady Server Time
28 Sep 2024 19:53:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dragon Lady
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 8 Aug 2016 21:35:00
Message: <web.57a932bae7e0b8f75e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
It also occurred to me that one probably doesn't even need to cover the whole
range of RGB values - only the range that's being used, or is significant.

If only certain rgb values are being used, then that a smaller range, and those
few subdivisions represented by the bytes the you have to work with now
represent a much finer scale.

It occurs to me on writing this, that it may be more effective to just ditch RGB
altogether and "encode" the colors in HSV.  Throw out S and V, and just assume
they're both 1, and that leaves you with 360 values.
That gives you a "fineness" of 1.41, which I'm sure is perfectly adequate for
the purpose at hand.

We have some very good people who write POV-Ray source code, and so it would be
a wonderful thing to be ahead of everyone else and have a rapid way of rendering
"full-color" df3 voxels.

The only trick then is to figure out how to get the generating software to write
a scaled hue value rather than a greyscale value.

Sound plausible?