POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dragon Lady : Re: Dragon Lady Server Time
28 Sep 2024 19:47:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dragon Lady
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 8 Aug 2016 07:15:00
Message: <web.57a8695be7e0b8f75e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> Sory, it's just not possible. DF3 support 1, 2 or 3 bytes per voxel, but
> always in a single channel gray levels.

Given what Stephen resorts to doing, I thought that might be the case.

BUT - I also thought that perhaps if there were a way to recolor the DF3 befor
saving, then the realistic RBG values could be _encoded_ into that false color
in such a way that they could be extracted back out of the gray value.

I need to get going, so I'll just give a quick non-binary example.
Lets say you had a single "gray value that could range from 0-999.
I was thinking that perhaps R could be factors of 100, G of 10, and B of 1.

3x8=24, 0 to 23, pow(2, 23) =
8388608

Simplistic, and it all depends on how the gray value gets calculated so that
things don't get irreversibly "mixed" - but I'll bet the 8-bit guys would puzzle
out a clever cryptographic scheme to encode all of Tetris into that little bit
of storage space  ;)

If it's possible, the range of RGB of course will not be as smooth as the
original, but I believe the trade-off in saving Stephen many painful hours of
scene development would be well worth it.

DISCLAIMER:
This is all just a pipe-dream that I'm having on a Monday morning, before
coffee, without inside knowledge of how Moray or Bishop handle data, or how
DF3's get encoded.
:)