POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Regarding the defocus module : Re: Regarding the defocus module Server Time
5 May 2024 13:37:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Regarding the defocus module
From: udyank
Date: 4 Aug 2016 12:25:01
Message: <web.57a36bf429233825f2ed086a0@news.povray.org>
> At the same time, the direction of the
> rays is adjusted in the opposite direction, so that each ray still
> passes through the same point on the plane of sharpness that it would
> have passed through without the jittering.

Are you saying that we presume there is a finite-aperture lens in the middle b/w
the camera plane and the scene, which bends the rays? Supposing there is a lens
in the middle, the rays from the camera bend through the lens and go to the
scene at some point P, does the "adjustment" mean that all jittered rays will
also go through P or points scattered around P (as per the jitter on the other
side) ?

> To compare this with a real camera lens, the camera location can be
> thought of as the center of the diaphragm (or, more precisely, the
> diaphragm's virtual image as seem through the lens), and the jittering
> of the rays accounts for the fact that the diaphragm's aperture is not
> infinitesimally small.

I didn't really get this part. How would jittering account for the aperture
size? Would it be possible for you to explain this with the help of an image?
It would be really helpful.

Thanks