POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A study in Heatsinks : A study in Heatsinks Server Time
2 May 2024 05:07:43 EDT (-0400)
  A study in Heatsinks
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 2 Aug 2016 10:15:01
Message: <web.57a0a9db9a812647b488d9aa0@news.povray.org>
I managed to squeak in some work on some basic CSG items I'll be using for
scenes.

Definitely need to work on the metal textures, and it's very obvious that the
skysphere, lighting, and angle have very significant effects on the rendered
appearance.

My lighting and textures are still craptastically rudimentary, but like many
things, it's a WIP...

I've noticed that when I tried to overlay the benchtop with a thin box patterned
with some granite/agate smudge and the rest of the color_map is rgbt <0, 0, 0,
1> or rgbt <1, 1, 1, 1> , I get a pronounced darkening of the underlying
benchtop.
{During writing, it occurred to me that it might be a coincident surface
problem, and I raised the layer 0.001, and it's fine now - just putting this
here for future reference / solution}

As an aside,
Searching for povray metal textures I actually found someone else who modeled a
heatsink:
https://en.wiki2.org/wiki/File:Heatsink_povray.png
and was shocked to find that the associated SDL source took 38 min to render on
my machine.   :O   Must be those area lights...
My whole 9-heatsink scene takes 26 sec.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'heatsink1.png' (1780 KB)