POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Parametrics and isosurfaces : Parametrics and isosurfaces Server Time
3 May 2024 23:53:37 EDT (-0400)
  Parametrics and isosurfaces
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 1 Aug 2016 17:45:01
Message: <web.579fc21ee9f788f45e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
I've played around a bit with some of these in order to make some smoother, more
flowing images.

I have a few questions, and a request.

Does anyone know how to generate an isobar map/plane such as Mike Williams has
on his tutorial introduction?
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/isobars2.jpg

It would be nice to have a robust system for making something like this,
generating the numeric grid, drawing the isobar lines, etc.

It seems to me that some objects can be described by either a parametric, an
"implicit" isosurface, or both.

I think I can somehow "get" the isosurface intuitively, but I seem to have some
difficulty translating certain equations into parametric form.

Does anyone have any tips, pointers, advice, or references to help working out
how x, y, and z are described by 3 different functions derived from one overall
equation?

***   With regard to the parametric object, is there any way to introduce a RHO
parameter?  I use u and v like THETA and PHI, but I've come across instances
where an additional parameter is thrown in to vary a radius or some other aspect
of the shape.

Many thanks as always!