POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : NURBS : Re: NURBS Server Time
26 Sep 2024 19:27:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS
From: Mr
Date: 1 Aug 2016 05:10:01
Message: <web.579f11726d1ce20416086ed00@news.povray.org>
> Am 24.07.2016 um 11:31 schrieb LanuHum:
> > clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> >
> >> @LanuHum:
> >> Does Blender provide full support for NURBS? If so, then this looks like
> >> an urgent job for you!
> >
> > It is very good that made Le Forgeron!
> > Le Forgeron, thank you!
> > Hair in Blender - NURBS.
>
> Are you sure Blender hair uses NURBS /patches/ (which is what LeForgeron
> has implemented) and not NURBS /curves/?

Indeed Blender hair does not use NURBS. it's some kind of pixel/screen space
geometry, derived from particles historically, I believe. It used to drop
calculations for any hair that looked smaller than one pixel fraction on screen,
according to antialiasing settings.

At one point, Blender NURBS were implemented from an external open source
library : libNurbana
https://sourceforge.net/projects/nurbana/?source=directory
Don't know if it's still the case.

I think what Lanuhum intended to say is that he would chose povray NURBS to
export Blender Hair. Personnally I find sphere_sweep a fine compromise though by
far slower than the blender native option.

POV-Ray NURBS however, are a GREAT addition for other uses, and I indeed hope
that I will be able to integrate Lanuhum's exporter branch script lines inside
official version without breaking things.

THANKS a lot to Le Forgeron, Clipka, and the POV-Ray developers !