POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Using UV mapping with checker pigment on a sphere - no clue at all! : Re: Using UV mapping with checker pigment on a sphere - no clue at all! Server Time
28 Apr 2024 07:49:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using UV mapping with checker pigment on a sphere - no clue at all!
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 22 Jul 2016 21:20:00
Message: <web.5792c531f16d9b345e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
> I always get a uniformly colored sphere, regardless how I rotate the
> pattern! Why?

I'd say that the "uniformly colored" is a huge hint about the pattern being
scaled too large.

When starting out in unfamiliar territory, I'd probably create a scene with a
large variation in object sizes, or a large variation in texture scales, or set
it up so that it's an "animation" and a large number of scenes get rendered to
show a wide range of size and/or scaling values.

As clipka noted, the pattern is 3-dimensional.   Perhaps if you render a very
large box, with transparency, you'll be able to see the scale of the pattern
directly.   Or just a very large box/sphere with the camera far enough away to
see the whole visible surface.

Keep at it, and I know you'll find some great things to experiment with   :)