POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shadow on Earth? : Re: Shadow on Earth? Server Time
19 May 2024 07:31:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shadow on Earth?
From: omniverse
Date: 20 Jul 2016 13:55:00
Message: <web.578fbab780911a1eb1933f770@news.povray.org>
Doctor John <j.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> If you intend to use this as an animation, don't
> forget to rotate the clouds (possibly at a slightly different rate to
> the earth).

And spin Earth west to east, note the "-" for that: rotate -360*clock

Unless there's another reason to have the atmosphere not show below Earth's
surface you won't need to use CSG difference, a single sphere alone will be
okay.

I think the answers given already have helped solve the problem.
Texture finish was trouble, as said, and scaling can be done other ways. I would
have began with a sphere {0,1 and then scaled them after image map and media.
Just be aware that media scaled after applied can change the affect,
historically anyway:

sphere {0,1 ... media { ... scale 0.5} scale 10}

Unfortunately I haven't kept up with that subject, I have not done much in
recent years, so please excuse me if media now retains original qualities when
scaling it's containing objects. Maybe it still scales (thickness or thinness).