POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurface doodle : Re: Isosurface doodle Server Time
3 May 2024 12:49:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface doodle
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 18 Jul 2016 10:25:00
Message: <web.578ce5c9ca82f27fb488d9aa0@news.povray.org>

> I can see what you mean by "direct accesss to the seed points for
> crackle", but what would "'direct access' or access to a copy of" any of
> the "simple infinite patterns" be in this context?

brick, cells, checker, gradient, hexagon, spiral, square, triangular, wood
perhaps any of the tilings or pavements

any crystal structure - real or theoretical

I'm just thinking from the perspective of ready-made subdivisions of 3D space,
especially in the context of individual points.

That would allow the rapid generation of wireframe "boxes" of all sorts of
shapes, placement of objects and light sources along grid intersections that are
not necessarily rectangular, they would form the basis of user-defined patterns
since they would act as a sort of "graph paper", etc.

They could also form the basis for mapping or subdividing the surface of an
object - picture lines or cones or boxes radiating out from the interior of an
object like a sphere or a box.  The interior point is presumably known /
selected, and then FROM that point, you have a network of points to "draw out"
TO.

How will this work?  What will people use it for?
How the heck do I know?   I just know that if someone makes a tool, then the
creative people here will pick it up and play with it in ways we could never
predict.   I just think such a set of pattern-point tools would be useful and
inspiring, and labor-saving.

They don't necessarily have to be "internal" to POV-Ray - they could be macros
or formulas, or anything the user has direct access to and possibly control
over.

Just an idea.