POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rounded/chamfered text : Re: Rounded/chamfered text Server Time
19 May 2024 05:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rounded/chamfered text
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 16 Jul 2016 09:30:01
Message: <web.578a3674136a649a71b844040@news.povray.org>
"JimT" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I'll have to look at how you kern. I gave up on automatic kerning. I thought I
> would need to populate an nxn matrix where n is the number of characters. I'll
> also have to think about justifying paragraphs.
>
> Thanks for the impetus to finally post something.
>
> Jim T.

I did make an nxn table of kerning values. There are 82 characters in my
character set so it took a long time to do by hand. Later I did think of a way
to automatically generate the kerning values. Unfortunately, the method I
thought of relied on CSG intersections and the min_extent () and max_extent ()
functions. It did not work properly. I consulted the documentation and found the
following message regarding these functions:

Note: This is not perfect, in some cases (such as CSG intersections and
differences or isosurfaces) the bounding box does not represent the actual
dimensions of the object.

So if you can fix POV-Ray's min_extent () and max_extent () functions to work
with CSG intersections or think of a work-around, here's a macro to compute
kerning values. Good luck!

Regards,
Dave Blandston

Post a reply to this message