POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Reverse engineering pigments and textures : Reverse engineering pigments and textures Server Time
26 Apr 2024 20:32:03 EDT (-0400)
  Reverse engineering pigments and textures
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 15 Jul 2016 15:10:00
Message: <web.5789343436e895bcb488d9aa0@news.povray.org>
I am having, and have had in the past, difficulty reproducing the colors in
sampled images in my renders.

I was wondering if anyone has had success in sampling rgb values from images or
"rgb color picker" apps and getting good results in their renders.
using sRGB doesn't seem to help me much.

This also got me thinking about how my overall textures are usually pretty
simplistic and plain.

Has anyone ever thought about or even experimented with scanning images and
trying to work backwards from the color / brightness values and trying to deduce
any patterns?  I would think that someone, somewhere has experimented with this
- universities, Disney, Pixar, IL&M, etc.

Thanks