POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bordered Characters version 1.1 : Re: Bordered Characters version 1.1 Server Time
30 Apr 2024 18:54:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bordered Characters version 1.1
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 7 Jul 2016 01:05:01
Message: <web.577de1f9a9cc2b4471b844040@news.povray.org>
Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> It would be nice if the stepping in in numbers 7 to 11 didn't show.
> I haven't looked at the files yet. Does this work for only 1 font or can
> it work with any font?
>
> --
>
> -Nekar Xenos-

The font is built-in and the macros only work with the included font. The step
effect you mentioned (actually visible in styles 7 - 13 and 16 - 18) is a
by-product of the way the fonts are made. I think the step effect could be
eliminated by making the sides of the characters variably non-vertical by using
cones in place of cylinders and prisms in place of boxes, etc. When I made the
characters I had not yet thought of the usefulness of this technique.
Retroactively implementing this feature would require quite a bit of time and
work and there's no possibility I will ever get to it. But I agree that it would
be a good thing. I really like styles 10 and 12, even with the steps.