POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Metal Monster entry : Re: Metal Monster entry: The Ant Queen Server Time
2 Jun 2024 07:47:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Metal Monster entry: The Ant Queen
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 28 Jun 2016 13:05:00
Message: <web.5772ad987d2bf0edb488d9aa0@news.povray.org>
Maybe it's just me, but I don't get that "this is made of metal" vibe when I
look at that.

Maybe combine what you've got with uncorroded metal to show that the corrosion /
rust / oxidation is exactly that - and not stone or whatever it might be?

I've seen some good-looking robot-type things, where there's some painted
surfaces with flaking, shiny hydraulic piston shafts, and then the rest of it is
a mix of metal, grease, rust, etc.   It seemed to me to be a very convincing
effect even though there was so little actual bare metal showing.

Maybe see about making the ant a bit less - round?   "organic"?
Throw some cylinders or facets in there, or remodel it in such a way as to
suggest that parts of it were cast - fillets, radiused parts, etc.
Screws or bolt heads
Plates or greebles

Just a suggestion.