POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A Challenge : Re: A Challenge Server Time
16 May 2024 18:38:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Challenge
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 9 Jun 2016 12:35:00
Message: <web.575998c437cf3d52fd6b6fe10@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> > On 7-6-2016 9:29, Stephen wrote:
> >> A possible future topic for Tena Chep.
> >>

> > I propose to make this the theme for the next Challenge 1 in August. For
> > once, we are forewarned :-)
> >
> I second that and look forward to A.D.B.'s entry :)
>

> --
>
> Regards
>      Stephen

Don't get your hopes up.  Compared to the people that enter those contests, I'm
a two-bit hack.

I have enough projects awaiting completion without starting a new one.

I was more interested in seeing what others could do with the idea.

One important thing to remember: Context is everything.  Ideally, you shouldn't
have to explain which category your object falls into, and the main problem is
that your object supposedly rewrites the history of your context.

If you use a fictional context, then you have to give enough information that
viewers understand why the object is interesting.  An Ozymandias can be easier
in this regard - Like a plank in a shipwreck, a dilapidated starship in a
medieval village needs little explanation.

Of course, to qualify, the starship might be buried in a mound like a viking
longship.

If you want to use a historical context -- or something from modern day depicted
as it might be seen thousands of years from now -- one idea might be the
Millennium Seed Vault.  Or you might imagine a time capsule satellite returning
to earth.

It might not be suitable for a contest, for the simple reason that one might
have to do a series of images to elaborate on the context, before dropping the
other shoe and showing the artefact.

It would definitely be a challenge.  But I doubt that I am up to it, personally.
Sorry to disappoint.

Regards,
A.D.B.