POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Just dawdling : Re: Just dawdling Server Time
1 Jun 2024 05:25:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just dawdling
From: Kenneth
Date: 22 May 2016 05:35:01
Message: <web.57417c894e13f48533c457550@news.povray.org>
> I need a bit of help. I made a depth_map of a Poser head...
> and thought that using it in the Rockhead code would be straightforward.
> It is, except that the face remains flat with hardly a hint of features...

I couldn't resist the urge to continue playing with your code. I've been doing
some experiments with it that look promising.

But at the last minute, I decided to try a simple trick instead: changing the
gamma of your depth-map .png image (i.e., 'abusing' the gamma, ha!)

The facial features suddenly appeared much more pronounced-- although the ears
disappeared! (Probably because the gamma change made them completely black, in
the depth-map image.)

This gamma-tweaking was an interesting discovery, just by itself. It's probably
useful in other contexts as well.

For doing other experiments with your code, I decided to make my own depth-map
(of a 'girl' model I downloaded years ago.) The method I used was the standard
one (I think), applying a white-to-black color_map to the face in +z. But I may
have made mine in a slightly different way than you did: I made the scale of the
color_map fade rather quickly, so that the black color came in just behind the
ears of the model (rather than behind the entire head.) This way, there was more
tonal difference in the facial features. I'll post more about that as I continue
to experiment...

Anyway, these are the only changes I made to your code, to get the results here
(and I used your original .png depth-map):

pigment_map {
       [0.0 rgb 0]
       [0.5 pigment_pattern {
              image_map {
                png"mapping_test.png" gamma 7 interpolate 2

pigment_map {
           [0.0 rgb 0]
           [0.5 granite
           scale 10*<5, 0.5, 5> // the 10* multiplier is to temporarily
// eliminate the 'rock' texture, to show just the 3-D facial features more
// clearly.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'rockman_1_ken.jpg' (113 KB)