POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Just dawdling : Re: Just dawdling Server Time
18 Jun 2024 10:06:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just dawdling
From: Kenneth
Date: 16 May 2016 17:05:01
Message: <web.573a35b64e13f48533c457550@news.povray.org>
> On 16-5-2016 12:26, Kenneth wrote:

> > (I discovered this quirk by chance; your code had a small typo in the image_map
> > entry, that didn't quite match your .png image's actual name. But it rendered
> > successfully anyway!)
>
> Oh? I don't see any difference between the two names on my side.

Hmm, that's strange. On my end (using Firefox as a browser), here's what I
see...

(your code snippet)
image_map {
                png"Mapping_test.png" gamma 1.0 interpolate 2
              }

Attachments:
download "mapping_test.png" (48 KB)

.... and the .png file is saved on my system as "mapping_test"

About the depth map: I assume that you created it in POV-Ray (using a
white-to-black color_map laid over the model in +z?) Perhaps you could run TWO
renders, one for just the face, and one for the areas behind the face (ears,
neck, etc.), using some kind of (precise!) trick with *different* color_maps,
plus appropriate inner/outer transparency for each render (to separate the
areas.) Then combine them in GIMP.

OR, you could separate your original depth-map image into two parts with a
precise mask, and boost the contrast of just the face.

I can't say for sure if either method would actually produce a 'correct'
isosurface face shape, but it might be worth a try.  It's kind of like trying to
make a face using a height_field and a depth-map; I've tried doing that, with
not-very-good results. The image_map artwork has to be made *just so*, and bears
little resemblance to an actual face!