POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Just dawdling : Re: Just dawdling Server Time
18 Jun 2024 10:09:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just dawdling
From: Kenneth
Date: 16 May 2016 06:30:00
Message: <web.57399f424e13f48533c457550@news.povray.org>
> I need a bit of help. I made a depth_map of a Poser head (see attached)
> and thought that using it in the Rockhead code would be straightforward.
> It is, except that the face remains flat with hardly a hint of features.

Hi, Thomas.

I've been testing out your code (which is very cool, by the way), and the only
problem seems to be with the depth-map image itself ("mapping_test".) The facial
features apparently do not have enough contrast, from dark to light. I took your
image and toyed with it in Photoshop-- adding some simple, darker 'test
features' to the face-- and they successfully showed up on your isosurface.  If
it helps, I'll try to upload my test image here, so you can plug it into
your code, to see the difference. (It's a jpeg image, with a gamma of 2.2.)

By the way (and a bit off-topic): I'm currently running one of Clipka's
'development builds' (not the latest one, unfortunately), and I noticed that, in
your code, I could substitute "MAPPING_TEST" for "mapping test" (i.e., all
capital letters), even though your image's name wasn't written that way-- but
your .png image still loaded successfully, without a fatal error(!) That came as
a big surprise to me; up until now, I was sure that things like image_map names
(in an SDL scene) had to be spelled *exactly* like the image itself, or the
scene wouldn't run. I don't know if this is a new 'feature', or if it's just a
temporary glitch in my particular development build.

(I discovered this quirk by chance; your code had a small typo in the image_map
entry, that didn't quite match your .png image's actual name. But it rendered
successfully anyway!)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'mapping_test_2_for_thomas.jpg' (68 KB)

Preview of image 'mapping_test_2_for_thomas.jpg'
mapping_test_2_for_thomas.jpg