POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Reinterpreting colors.inc colors as sRGB : Re: Reinterpreting colors.inc colors as sRGB Server Time
19 Apr 2024 18:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reinterpreting colors.inc colors as sRGB
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 9 May 2016 12:30:00
Message: <web.5730ba364aeaea239fa916e90@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Would the equations there still be correct when giving the macro an srgb color?
> For example, let's say I'm rendering a scene with srgb <.3,.5,.7> as an
> *on-screen* color (a 'gamma-bent' color, although I realize that the rgb colors
> themselves are actually 'linear' colors.) Feeding those linear rgb colors to the
> macro would result (by my thinking) in an HSL color that wouldn't quite match
> what I was seeing on-screen. (Assume that I'm running v3.7xx with the proper
> assumed_gamma 1.0).
>
> At least, that's how it seems to me, although I could be wrong.
>
> Does that macro need updating for your "colors_srgb.inc" file?

I haven't figured out the best way to proceed on this.  However, it's clear to
me that if these macros (which include HSV conversions as well) are rewritten,
they should be given new names, and not replace the existing macros.

This seems more of an issue for colors from 3rd party color pickers, anyway, and
not so much relevant to POV-Ray declared colors.