POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Irid vs SSLT redux (with less assumed gamma) : Re: Irid vs SSLT redux (with less assumed gamma) Server Time
6 May 2024 09:51:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Irid vs SSLT redux (with less assumed gamma)
From: Simon J  Cambridge
Date: 2 May 2016 10:50:01
Message: <web.57276880aca34b7863a98df50@news.povray.org>
> Am 02.05.2016 um 14:52 schrieb Simon J. Cambridge:
>
> > I also changed the lighting so that you can see SSLT occurring in one of the
> > ears. It is probably manadatory to have SSLT occuring in at least one ear.
>
> Absolutely. For elves, that is. at least for elves. Orcs, not so much.
> They usually wear it in their left ear though. Your hero is standing in
> front of a mirror, right?
>
> As far as the shoulderwear is concerned: Well, what do you expect? Looks
> to me like the thingumajigs receive light, with shadows from objects
> further to the right that happen to almost coincide with the tips.
> Nothing surprising to me there.

Actually, the being depicted is not an Elf! (And in making such a rash and
unwarranted assumption you have seriously dented your credibility in the process
- you need to read my books to find out more.)*

The 2.2 thing was an assumption on my part - me being lazy. I am just glad to
find out where I have been going wrong all this time. I will also recalibrate
for both mm_per_unit and translucency and see where I get, but I might still
have to mess with the numbers as the being depicted is roughly ten feet tall.
(You really need to read my books to find out more)**

So here is the question (throwing it out to all and sundry). What do you think
of the texturing? Does it work?

(And the anomaly on the shoulder is a bit odd in that there is no light on that
side and it seems to me that light is coming from behind, through the armour,
which it shouldn't because the texture has no translucency. I have yet to work
out what is going on there.)

Cheers,

Simon.

*An entirely innocent and fortuitous plug.

**Another entirely innocent and fortuitous plug.

www.landofthefirst.com