POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Irid vs SubSurface : Re: Irid vs SubSurface Server Time
4 May 2024 12:37:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Irid vs SubSurface
From: Simon J  Cambridge
Date: 30 Apr 2016 13:50:01
Message: <web.5724ef3dc86b25c78a1495950@news.povray.org>
> Am 30.04.2016 um 18:20 schrieb Simon J. Cambridge:
>
> > I have tried with SSLT, I really have, but it never seems to give me what I am
> > after, which was why I went physically nonsensical. Skin ends up looking like
> > wax, or artifacts get generated (on meshes - light patches on vertexes).
>
> I know the artifacts you are referring to, and haven't found the time
> and ideas to battle them yet; they should diminish if you subdivide your
> mesh more rigorously though.
>
> If you get a waxy look, you're overdoing it.
>
> Also, in real life the SSLT effect is different for different portions
> of the body; however, currently POV-Ray does no yet provide any means to
> simulate this, except for averaging an SSLT- and a non-SSLT texture (or
> multiple SSLT textures with different settings), which does not do full
> justice to the real effect.

I am amazed you are considering tackling it at all. It must be a nightmare. (My
developer days are over, I'm afraid - it was all beginning to make my brain hurt
a bit too much). (And thanks for the tip on subdivision. I will try that out,
though I think I gave it a go some time back and had problems still.)

To be honest I have tried various settings with subsurface and found it way over
the top, artifact city or no appreciable effect at all (but, as I said above,
this was some time ago. Perhaps if I revisit the problem with renewed vigour and
a smaller mesh?)

I think the most frustrating thing, though, is the time it takes to render. I
set a render in motion, go away, return ten years later and bang my head on the
table because something is still not right in the image. Which is why I am
following the cheating path as it makes me feel a lot less like Sisyphus.

Has anybody else used the Samuel Benge (thank you Samuel, btw) fastprox macros,
and had satisfaction, do you know? Is this a route worthy of further travail?