POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Irid vs SubSurface : Irid vs SubSurface Server Time
4 May 2024 12:50:50 EDT (-0400)
  Irid vs SubSurface
From: Simon J  Cambridge
Date: 30 Apr 2016 11:05:01
Message: <web.5724c85c2f113964240402840@news.povray.org>
I have been trying for ages to get satisfactory results with subsurface (both
POV 3.7 and Samuel Benge's fastSSS). I imagine I am doing it wrong in some way
as I can never get the results that I want! So I got to debating with myself as
to the whichness of the why and tried using Irid instead. After various tests I
came up with the following, ramping Irid up (2), using low lighting (fade
distance) and a small thickness (0.05). The results are as you see (but be
advised these are all very much works in progress!)

One thing of note. It is very much faster than SubSurface. Also, I was wondering
whether there was any mileage in being able to use a colour component for the
strength, eg Irid <1, 0.7, 0.5>.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'test01.png' (752 KB)