POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cheap dual Xeon E5 2670 for rendering : Re: Cheap dual Xeon E5 2670 for rendering Server Time
28 Apr 2024 23:38:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cheap dual Xeon E5 2670 for rendering
From: jhu
Date: 25 Apr 2016 15:25:01
Message: <web.571e6e60e3847fb0194284cc0@news.povray.org>

> I'm interested in details on the motherboard you are using & if using
> linux or windows as your OS.
>
> I've seen some of these pulled xeons popping up too and I've thought
> about upgrading my old render box with one over my 920 4 core. With a
> bios update, my MB looks like it would work with one.
>
> The same computer has been down for while with a bad power supply. I've
> been holding off fixing it partly due life changes/tighter budget - but
> perhaps more because I really want to stretch for exactly the set up you
> are trying!
>
> Bill P.

I bought an ASRock EPC602 on newegg.com. It sold out pretty quickly. You can
still find a few other dual Xeon boards on newegg. If you want to go this route,
make sure it supports LGA 2011 or LGA 2011 v2 processors (not LGA 2011 v3).

The only thing I have right now is the motherboard, case, and the two
processors. Still waiting for the power supply and CPU heatsinks/fans to arrive.