POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request for Syntax Suggestions : Re: Request for Syntax Suggestions Server Time
7 May 2024 05:25:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request for Syntax Suggestions
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 22 Apr 2016 21:20:06
Message: <web.571acd1af5284c305e7df57c0@news.povray.org>

>     f(x,y,z) = f1(x,y,z) + f2(x,y,z) + ... fN(x,y,z)
>
> and where each individual component function would have an associated
> bounding box or bounding sphere, outside of which that particular
> component would be presumed to be zero.
> Any suggestions?

Um,  The only thing I can think of right now would be to define something along
the lines of a color map or an interpolated spline, and apply that to f(0) ....
f(n)

I never studied them, but it sounds like you're decomposing everything into
parts like a Fourier transform, or synthesizing the final function from
something like one of those series...   Taylor series, etc.

Not that the POV Team doesn't have impressive experts, but:
Have you asked Jos Leys or Paul Nylander, or floated the question out to the
Stackoverflow or Wolfram fora?