POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Smooth swinging camera work : Re: Smooth swinging camera work Server Time
20 Apr 2024 01:00:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth swinging camera work
From: SecondCup
Date: 9 Apr 2016 22:35:08
Message: <web.5709bb6ee1dfd56f95dcb8070@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3Cweb.5709a3a7287170380403a200%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3Cweb.57
09
> a3a7287170380403a200%40news.povray.org%3E
>
> I forgot to add the origin to the first one.   It's up at the top of the
> vertical line portion.

Nice! The lower image looks good until my code wants it to rotate around the
center 360 degrees.

Because I tell the code to 'look_at <the center>', the coordinate system isn't
doing what I want.

Lets say we are looking at the animation in plan view as if the center is the
middle of a clock. Looking directly down the center, the camera drops vertically
at 6'oclock -location <0,-15,-65>- and starts to rotate anti-clockwise to 5
oclock (something like -location <30,-15,-65>- (moves to the right but stays at
same elevation and distance from center))...Still while the camera is locked to
viewing the center. What are my location coordinates if I want the camera to be
at 3 oclock, 12oclock and 9oclock?...while all the time locked into viewing the
center. (I would of course add intermediate points but I think this clock
analogy works)

Without being locked to viewing the center, the coordinates would be:
6oclock location <0,-15,-65>
3oclock location <65,-15,0>
12oclock location <0,-15,+65>
9oclock location <-65,-15,0>

This would create the points on a spleen to rotate around the centre, but my
camera wouldnt be focused on the center. The look_at command causes the z-value
to act like a zoom-in/out tool.