POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Inversion : Re: Inversion Server Time
6 May 2024 20:56:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inversion
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 9 Apr 2016 16:35:01
Message: <web.570966f9c6ebc48080403a200@news.povray.org>

> Fact is, the image is an exact negative of one of the insert menu samples.

Tone reversed and color reversed, just like a typical color negative (without
the orange color mask).  I guess "it's [just] a negative" seemed too simple an
answer.

> What this new incarnation will add is the ability to apply different
> tonemapping functions to each colour channel, perform cross-channel
> colour maths, and as an extra bonus even use functions that depend on
> the screen location.

So, this would be analogous to various image processing features and "filters"
that a lot of graphics programs have?
I find the screen location feature interesting, and am wondering how that will
function, and what inspired its development.

I would imagine that various functions could be used to adjust brightness and
colour using gradients, concentric-type adjustment such as the cos^4 brightness
dropoff typically seen in camera lenses, etc.
I guess you could also use one image to map/adjust tones onto/in another kind of
like a pigment/texture/image map.

Sounds like a very cool project indeed, with lots of potential!