POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : printing object's identifier : Re: printing object's identifier Server Time
18 May 2024 16:51:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: printing object's identifier
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 19 Mar 2016 17:30:00
Message: <web.56edc37c374275025e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
jr <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> cool, thank you.  two nits though [cue image of Edvard Munch's "The
> Scream" :-)]:

Yes, one can't cue the genuine article as it was stolen.

There's _always_ a nit or two.  I do shots of Lagavulin and Rid to keep that to
a minimum when coding...

> which means that the added comment ("..Try using _____Declare=OBJ=1_____
> in the command-line box..") ought to be at the top of the file, along
> with the other usage info, to avoid other Windows users getting 'caught
> out'.

Well, I DO have that arrow pointing to your note
 *   command-line:
 *   povray Declare=OBJ=N ...    <<< Necessary for this scene to work!
 *          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
to highlight that, up in the green comment block.   I thought that might be
enough.

The line you're referring to is immediately below the yellow highlighted SDL
when the parse error gets triggered, which is where the [new] user's attention
will be at that moment, not at the top of the file.

> and wrt the confirmation message, it's one sentence and there's a comma
> before the 'now rendering', so the 'now' should be lowercase (unless you
> prefer it as two, shorter sentences).

I was just getting my OCD on, and dabbling with the text.

> also, given that the .pov is the result of collaborative effort, I think
> you ought to rip out the "thank you to" line and add self to authors.

Most generous and respectful, but I hardly think that a few minor playful edits
merit that.
I do, however, like very much what you're done with using the array, which is
what caught my attention to begin with.   I had recently been wanting to do
exactly what you illustrate, but didn't _need_ to, and had other things I was
working on (being thwarted by), so I didn't look up the parse string thing,
which I recalled being mentioned in the past.

I think that _THAT_ is the aspect of this that deserves some attention and
development, as I think we could play with it some and produce some valuable
tools and methods.

Two ideas I have - and feel free to pursue these - are a sort of automatic or
randomized code generation - since different string fragments could be strung
together to make a whole functional SDL scene.  :D

More practical though, would be a shorthand method for #declaring lots of
variables.  I was trying to think about a way to do something like:
#declare a=1; b=2; c=3; d=4; ...   and this seems to be the way to accomplish
that.   Either through a loop, or by just arranging the variable names and
values in an array.   That cuts out a ton of hand-typed #declares.

I'm sure there are other things to apply this to, but right now I'm just
brainstorming.

I shall let it all bounce around my head some more.

Well met, Mr. jr.  :)