POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Involute curves W I P : Re: Involute curves W I P Server Time
28 Apr 2024 17:47:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Involute curves W I P
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 18 Mar 2016 08:45:01
Message: <web.56ebf81a7cd2ac6a5e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:

> It's been over a decade since I did this stuff at University, and a good
> few years since I used it at work. However I did find this link in my
> "useful" folder on my work PC, maybe it helps in some way:
>
> https://www.bostongear.com/pdf/gear_theory.pdf

Thanks, Scott.  You anticipated where I'm going with this - I'm sure I've seen
that page many times over the last year - I just never got around to starting
the gear model.

Hopefully that helps me to not only understand and further lay out the next
level of detail, but helps me think ahead to parameterizing the code.  I noticed
that for low tooth numbers, my code starts to unravel and the teeth look like
someone twisted them 180 with a very big pair of Vice-Grips.