POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Involute curves W I P : Re: Involute curves W I P Server Time
29 Apr 2024 02:25:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Involute curves W I P
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 17 Mar 2016 18:00:01
Message: <web.56eb28497cd2ac6a5e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
OK,
I recognized the obvious solution to the Outer Circle intersection, implemented
a practical While Loop to terminate the involutes, used a Lohmueller segment of
a torus to connect the roots of the teeth, and topped off the teeth with a
straight cylinder.

Looks ok with teeth of 36 and 60, although I expected the teeth to be thicker
and have less space between them in meshing gears.

Still need to ponder visualizing the "line of action" where the teeth mesh.
Also need to figure out how best to do this in CSG,
and what curve works best for doing this in SVG.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'involute.png' (61 KB)

Preview of image 'involute.png'