POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : At wits' end : Re: At wits' end Server Time
18 May 2024 19:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: At wits' end
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 14 Mar 2016 10:30:00
Message: <web.56e6c9d0509d798c5e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:

> His diagram lines are OK, but some of the angles are wrong. Actually so
> long as you know the angles of a hexagon (120 degrees), just use
> Pythagoras on the lower left triangle (the one with hypotenuse L/2).

Yes, apologies for that.   It was a quick sketch I was drawing out at the very
end of the day.  It should have clicked when I was aware of the difference in
length between the horizontal and vertical catheti - that the angles would be
what I originally hastily labeled them as, but that just didn't happen.

I'm learning more and more from my own experience that it's important to just
put it down for a while and come back to it with fresh eyes and a fresh mind.
It can then take mere seconds to see what I've been looking straight past for
hours.

Good catches, Scott.   I had only just begun to familiarize myself with the
geometry of the algorithm, but you just homed right in on it all.  That also
shows me where the sqrt(7) term comes from, which would have bothered me until I
figured it out.   :)