POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POV-Ray is so cumbersome... : Re: POV-Ray is so cumbersome... Server Time
14 May 2024 04:39:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray is so cumbersome...
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 1 Mar 2016 09:10:01
Message: <web.56d5a1c0e2a9b9235e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
Yadgar,

Dude.
Take it easy.  I know it can feel, and even BE frustrating to work out the
building of something, and then apply the magic of texturing and all that other
fancy stuff, but you've just got to calm down, chill, and pace yourself.

Like Thomas said - you really can't compare what _YOU_ are doing to anyone else.
 That way lies madness.  With the internet, and near-instant access to decades
of information, and the incessant work product of BILLIONS of people, you can
easily get ...  just LOST in the immensity of it all.

I do, and have done, all sorts of things - and I can tell you that there will
always be some people who are and will never be satisfied with anything you do.
With 10+ billion people (reproducing), and with new methods and technologies,
there will always be someone "better" or "faster" or "more-whatever-er".  But
there will always be people who know the real deal, and can see who you are, and
understand what you do and how much work it really takes, and can appreciate
what you put into it.

So don't sell yourself short, and don't sell yourself out to the occasional and
perhaps inevitable bout of frustration and burnout and depression - that's just
a lie.  The truth is that you have vision, inspiration, and love for the things
you do, and after all this time, you're STILL here with the rest of us lunatics
pecking away at a command-line raytracer, building things big and small one
primitive object at a time.

My desk is filled with scraps of paper and endless scribbles about x,y,z
(literally), trig functions, weird diagrams for whatever "computer math" or
algorithm I'm trying to work out to do "THIS _thing_".  I make models with
cardboard boxes and graph paper, and use 7 other pieces of software to do what
some people might simply sit down and hammer out the code for in 5 minutes.
But now _I_ know how to do it, and it's a new tool and resource I can use and
play with.   It's a new skill that _I_ have.

If you think there's something holding you back - find out what it is.  Lack of
focus?  Can't sit still? Distracted by something? Can't visualize something
right?   Can't get that POV-Ray directive to work the way you want it to and
thought it should?   Can't write loops, splines, circular formulas....?    Write
down what you feel thwarted by every time it happens and see if there's a major
stumbling block and then work on removing it.

Also just accept that for many things that working with POV-Ray is SLOW - Accept
it, and just let the frustration go.   It doesn't accomplish anything and it
just wastes your time.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'bsipvzjiuaa2kpr.jpg' (77 KB)