POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Repeating texture sprite : Re: Repeating texture sprite Server Time
29 Apr 2024 15:24:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Repeating texture sprite
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 29 Feb 2016 02:05:01
Message: <web.56d3ed363999a40fd6b6fe10@news.povray.org>

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/tilemap-based-game-techniques-handling-terrai-r934

> The sprites need to join up together smoothly at the edges so you don't
> see a big seam between them. I was thinking of using the intersection of
> an squarish isosurface and a plane, but that will not necessarily line
> up at the edges.
>
> Thoughts?
>

> Mike

1) Determine your terrain types
   e.g. desert, plains, beach, tundra, taiga, forest, boreal... etc.
2) make a 3x3 grid, and create a radial transition between each type
3) slice up the resulting image into tiles
4) create a map using large tiles, say 16x16, you might look at the diamond
square algorithm.  Limit your shades of grey to the number of different biomes

alternatively, you might use a 2d cellular automata: Split the tiles into
categories - center (can only border on it's own type), north edge (can only
connect to a south edge or a center of the border type...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFvsRvo_78Y

Regards,
A.D.B.