POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : alternate diffraction / transmittance : alternate diffraction / transmittance Server Time
28 Apr 2024 20:13:05 EDT (-0400)
  alternate diffraction / transmittance
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 28 Feb 2016 20:35:00
Message: <web.56d39fe3d5c25a315e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
Strange thoughts pop into my head, and was wondering about the phenomenon where
when you get a piece of paper wet or greasy, you can have it look dark or light
depending upon its orientation.
I've also noticed that on engraved reflective surfaces - you can get an
inversion, so to speak.

I looked around a bit, and found some things to read about this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/2fzrlg/why_does_paper_become_translucent_when_it_gets_wet/

What I was wondering is:
1.  Does this have some sort of Name?   "The XYZ effect"?

2. Is there anything more to this?   I mean that in the sense of - has anyone
studied this and found unanticipated ways to control and/or tweak this in
interesting and unexpected ways?

3.  Has anyone to date modeled this with POV-Ray, perhaps with an animation?

Thanks!