POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Only kind wishes to developers! : Re: Only kind wishes to developers! Server Time
17 May 2024 08:14:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Only kind wishes to developers!
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 28 Feb 2016 08:10:01
Message: <web.56d2f151f8405cba664116940@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski <jam### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> The only feature I am missing, is the ability to export POV-Ray scenes
> into a few other 3D file formats. If POV-Ray could be made exporting
> into the quite similar OpenSCAD file format, we could take over from there.

I think we could do that, Sven.
Though, I'd say that one would have to recognize 3 things:

1. POV-Ray and Open SCAD are similar, but fundamentally different in what they
do.   So there may only ever be an approximation in the conversion.

2. The time and effort it might take to develop such a thing would probably
indicate that some, or a lot of things ought to just be rewritten in OPEN SCAD
rather than trying to be converted.

3. I've only ever created some rudimentary models with OPEN SCAD, so I'm not
familiar with all of its features and capabilities.   Perhaps OPEN SCAD would
have to meet POV-RAY halfway in order to better bridge the gap.

I'm currently working with laser cutters, and so I'm doing the same with SVG.
I'd rather have DXF output - but jeez, what a crappy format  :O