POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Only kind wishes to developers! : Re: Only kind wishes to developers! Server Time
2 May 2024 18:05:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Only kind wishes to developers!
From: LanuHum
Date: 27 Feb 2016 17:55:00
Message: <web.56d227d0f8405cba7a3e03fe0@news.povray.org>

> I'm sure that over the long history of POV-Ray's development, that there must be
> an astronomical amount of work that was done to bring POV-Ray to the stage where
> it is at.   I'm sure there have been many, many hours of long, hard, tedious
> hours of drudge work and thousands of largely unseen, thankless jobs.
> I'm always happy that it has continued on, and is always improving.

I don't doubt that there is a lot of work.
I want to have fast and beautiful hair
http://sago.nl/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/blondhair.jpg

> > Your mistake - isn't present a fast render of curves.
> > Sphere_sweep - bad option.
>
> Yeah, sphere sweep kinda sucks, I'll admit.
> I presently use a sphere for the first point, and then extend a cylinder out to
> every subsequent point after that.   Seems to do the job smoothly enough and I
> don't get the holes / choppiness of too few spheres, or the very slow results
> from using 100,000 spheres to make a "line".

I try to use metaballs (blobs).
But it doesn't help at quantity of curves equal 150 000 and more...

> > Povray - is very good. But, you are stubborn. :)
>
> True, but that's one of their greatest strengths!  ;)

I long write the exporter. I haven't found support. It is interesting to me: why
users don't love Povray?
It isn't necessary to deceive himself! Even here only a few admirers.
I can analyse the number of visitors.
I've been told: "There are many renderer better, than Povray"
Users find other renderer. Why? Why doesn't interest developers
prestige?
The render of hair goes to Blender Internal Render 10 - 30 seconds. I don't
think that octree or kd-tree for this purpose use
They use cunning, but result beautiful.

I am a bad programmer. I don't want to listen to users. I want to do what I want
to do. I have no users.

I can't explain to users: why Povray renders hair 2 - 7 hours? Who has this time
for animation?
We receive beautiful hair in seven hours of a render? No...
http://sago.nl/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/blondhair.jpg
https://cdn.tutsplus.com/cg/uploads/legacy/079_Blender_Hair/preview.jpg
http://www.blendernation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/luxrender-hair.jpg

> > Why you aren't interested time of a render
> >  scenes, but only quality???
>
> I'm sure speed is always a desire - but not at the expense of quality.   PLENTY
> of others produce products where speed is top priority.   Once computing power
> catches up, then there will be quality AND speed.

There have to be steps. The free software has no fast renderer for animation. In
animation the speed, than quality is more important. At fast change of shots you
won't manage to consider each shot.
Povray has animation. What for? to render one picture for an hour?