POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Hair/beard growing - a Poseray problem? : Re: Hair/beard growing - a Poseray problem? Server Time
14 May 2024 08:22:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hair/beard growing - a Poseray problem?
From: FlyerX
Date: 25 Feb 2016 21:15:00
Message: <web.56cfb41997e15030efa0f190@news.povray.org>
dick balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
> > You may remember that in early 2014 I experimented with growing hair
> > using POV-Ray code (see image attached).
>
> I'm curious what you expected it to look like.  It looks very dollish,
> but what was the desired effect?

I general I recommend against using dynamic hair with POV-Ray. It rarely looks
good. Trans-mapped hair looks fine but dynamic strand hair needs many more hairs
which need to be converted to tubes increasing the poly count massively. POV-Ray
also needs a better handling of the specular for strands to look better.