POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Colony Ship : Re: The Colony Ship Server Time
8 Jul 2024 00:34:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Colony Ship
From: Kenneth
Date: 14 Feb 2016 16:30:00
Message: <web.56c0f15bce53235433c457550@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> This use the fact that all 3 channels always evaluate to the same value.
> .gray will evaluate each channels and perform a ponderated average that
> is always the same value as the red, green and blue channels.
> Using .red, .green or .blue, you only evaluate a single channel and
> don't need to do the averaging.
>
> It ONLY work for gray levels pigments and images.

Yes, true. (Although, I didn't know about Clipka's remark, that even grayscale
images benefit from using only a single channel.)

The HF image I was using to test Sven's code happened to be a color image (which
I was also using to apply as a pigment.) Otherwise, grayscale is the way to go
(along *with* .red or etc.)

When using a *color* image to generate a height_field, it's not easy to know
beforehand which color channel will be the best to use (as the image is a mix of
different reds, greens and blues, of different 'gray' intensities.) In which
case, .gray is better.. or more practical, that is.