POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Cave mouth entrance : Re: Cave mouth entrance Server Time
3 May 2024 22:07:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cave mouth entrance
From: Kenneth
Date: 13 Feb 2016 01:00:00
Message: <web.56bec37339251d2e33c457550@news.povray.org>
dick balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
> On 2/12/2016 11:10 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> >
> > I want to create something like the first row of pictures here:...
> >

> I did a tunnel with a heightfield and a bore difference.

For the organic-looking cave itself, I would use the HF_Cylinder macro in
"shapes.inc". (See my recent post in Sven's  "CLipka: Possible BUG Found!!!"
entry for an example of how to use that macro.) Then maybe another 'regular
heightfield for the face of the cave (standing vertically.) Joining that
combination to the ground-- so that it all looks like 'one thing'-- may not be
so easy; maybe by submerging the HF cylinder into the ground a little (which
would be yet another heightfield), along with some extra rocks around the
join-line to 'hide' it.

Or you could model the entire cave in a separate mesh modeler and import it into
POV-Ray ;-)  I still use a *really* old and simple app called sPatch for
building things like that.