POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Automated creation of jigsaw puzzle pieces : Re: Automated creation of jigsaw puzzle pieces Server Time
15 May 2024 21:34:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Automated creation of jigsaw puzzle pieces
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 12 Feb 2016 11:55:01
Message: <web.56be0d5c9b9916a55e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
Thanks, Anthony - I guess maybe sometimes I'm not too clear about where I'm at
and where I want to go with it.

The first picture is the output of my POV file after I relearned how to use
splines.  :)

I think that given a simple grid of endpoints, I can manage to play around with
the form of what's between them - and even shift the endpoints around a bit so
they're not all aligned in a rectangular grid.

What I'm really trying to grasp is the logic by which to "split" one of those
corners in the middle of the puzzle.  If you look, there are a pair of corners -
separated either vertically or horizontally, where in my grid there is only one.
  Perhaps this could be called a height or a width mis-match.
I just need a bit of logic to place in my column-row loop to handle these pairs
of differently connected nodes / corners / endpoints / vertices.

This gives rise to a further refinement of slanting the puzzle edge and the
locking tab to smoothly follow that angle, which shouldn't be too bad once I get
back into the swing of things.

Then I just need to come up with some kind of formula for preventing two slots
from colliding with each other if they get generated too large or too close, and
wind up constricting and cutting off that corner.

I either need to make an array and pre-populate it with coordinates and other
connectivity data, or approach the construction of the grid a slightly different
way.   I currently am starting with the top left corner and drawing down, then
over, down, then over.   Maybe if I go over, then up, then I can store the
coordinates of the double corners in an array so that when I get down to the
next row, that endpoint data is available.

Thanks for looking at this - it's a far less exciting POV or raytracing project
and more of a programming problem.

Current status of the pieces shown below:

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'jigsawpuzzle.png' (86 KB)

Preview of image 'jigsawpuzzle.png'