POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Building types : Re: Building types Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:51:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Building types
From: green
Date: 3 Feb 2016 19:55:08
Message: <web.56b29fc22fff74c49669cbdc0@news.povray.org>
> On 2/3/2016 9:01 AM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> > Sven Littkowski <jam### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> >> Parks are nice, but don't forget some playgrounds for children, some
> >> small forests, small lakes or creeks for fishing or observation or
> >> romance, and some emissionless transportation systems.   :-)
> >> Golf places, and such.
> >
> > Golf would be really interesting in a rotating environment.  (Technically, the
> > Earth's rotation does affect golf on Earth, but the effect is too small to
> > notice.  The effect is noticeable to a long-range sniper, however.)
> >

> One thing I am not sure about is if the air within the cylinder rotates
> at the same speed as the buildings and people.
>

> Mike

nobody knows.  here is somebody who knows more than most;
https://youtu.be/_1yOe-exq6c?t=6m

i checked some time in the past and if remember correctly the speed of air
molecules is about the same as the velocity of the circumference of such a
rotating hab, so the air is weakly bound to the 'ground'.  my guess is that the
air doesn't want to follow along the rotation so it lags, making an antispin
breeze.  or a gale.  and creates drag, leading to instability (unless actively
corrected) for undersquare cylinders.  just a guess.