POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real Random Numbers : Re: Real Random Numbers Server Time
16 May 2024 10:45:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real Random Numbers
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 25 Jan 2016 23:15:00
Message: <web.56a6f2203b8de4ddfd6b6fe10@news.povray.org>
"Flynn" <pot### [at] gmxnet> wrote:
> Sven Littkowski <jam### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> > Yes, I was thinking about involving time into it, too. But then again,
> > two different computers and rendering at the same time - will lead again
> > to the same result. So, while POV-Ray gives us a pseudo random, you give
> > us now a pseudo pseudo random.
> >
> > But don't get me wrong - I was about to have it done the same way. And
> > it is a good idea.
> >
> > If you want to go that way further, and want to work towards the third
> > pseudo, you could also involve computer specs to the time-depending
> > random. And also things that change frequently on computers, like amount
> > of free HDD space and size of random-selected files also being computed
> > into the pseudo pseudo pseudo random.
> >
> > POV-Ray's random was intentionally meant to enable everyone to produce
> > the same result. But taking your point, yes, it would be nice if POV-Ray
> > 4.0 could supply us with a real random, too. :-)
>
> Hi Sven !
>
> Thanks for your funny message !
> What you wrote, that there is a reason why we get pseudo-random to produce same

> But !!!!! Yeeess...the must be a BUT !
>
> I like to make pics using random numbers to see different results, and take the
> best (what I think what the best is).
> So I think both options are very useful.
> And 2 Computers produces the same results when they start rendering the same
> time...yes...when they have exactly the same time...down to
> microseconds...yes...there is always a limit for us.
> And you have really great ideas to get more better
> pseudo-pseudo-pseudo-pseudo-numbers using files and HDD space. Thanks for it !!!
>
> Bye
> Flynn :-)

There's also rand.inc which has several different random number generators.

I used it myself in my packing crate image to randomize the surface on the
iso-planks

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C50765d2d%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=404540&toff=600

and again to randomize the distribution of particles in my spray-paint macro:

http://news.povray.org/web.5083ad99befa8986d97ee2b90%40news.povray.org

Regards,
A.D.B.