POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: 3D-Printing of POV-Ray Scenes via OpenSCAD? : Re: 3D-Printing of POV-Ray Scenes via OpenSCAD? Server Time
16 May 2024 09:44:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D-Printing of POV-Ray Scenes via OpenSCAD?
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 25 Jan 2016 15:10:00
Message: <web.56a6803a77a527145d6ac23a0@news.povray.org>
Hm, that's odd, the original post seems to have vanished. I can see your most
recent two replies, but not the original thread...

Sven Littkowski <jam### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> And can it convert blobs and boxes and torus, too? And other shapes?
>
> And how would I use these macros, can you give an example?
>
> Thanks a lot. :-)

The two macros in that post simply create a sphere and a cylinder in the
OpenSCAD language. That's all I have, because that's all I needed for what I was
making at the time. I think I included a couple of example calls at the end of
the post. I never wrote anything for converting pre-existing POV-Ray SDL,
because the data I was converting was already in the form of POV-Ray point
arrays.

In principle, it should be possible to extend this idea to convert certain
POV-Ray primitives by parsing the SDL - according to the documentation, OpenSCAD
supports spheres, boxes, cylinders, cones, arbitrary polyhedra, and extruded
shapes like disks and prisms. But I would think it would be easier to do this in
an external language with better string parsing abilities to be honest, and it
could be quite a lengthy task...

Bill