POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Multiple instances of POV-Ray? : Re: Multiple instances of POV-Ray? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:30:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Multiple instances of POV-Ray?
From: Theogott
Date: 21 Jan 2016 02:50:06
Message: <web.56a08d9fe13451b5adb2e4f80@news.povray.org>
If you have a good graphics card and want try something new,  you can get even
better system usage, by rendering at the same time using Luxrender or Blender
"Cycles" with the OpenCL-Option.

Because it uses the Graphics-Card GPU for rendering, you can render with POV-Ray
at the same time.
While POV uses the CPU-Cores, at the same time "render scenes" with Luxrender
(or Blender Cycles), because it will just use 1 CPU-Core plus the graphics card.

To see if this makes sense for your system, go to here:
http://www.luxmark.info/

and make the Test. If you GPU is good (higher number then the CPU-Test), then
you can try that. In my case i had ~50.000 for my GPU ans ~1200 for my CPU so it
made sense :-). Because otehrwise my GPU sits there useless - while beeing 50
times faster in rendering then my CPU.

The newest version of Luxrender OpenCL is here available.
http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12147

In my tests its a good companion to POV-Ray, while (the disadvantage is) that
you need to use Blender to design the scenes. It does not have an easy to use
SDL like POV-Ray.

More Infos on "Blender Cycles" in YouTube, if you just enter the term, there are
many tutorial videos.