POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh2 and file types : Re: Mesh2 and file types Server Time
21 May 2024 12:42:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh2 and file types
From: Leroy
Date: 20 Jan 2016 18:25:00
Message: <web.56a016f9a275ff7fae525b730@news.povray.org>
> Am 20.01.2016 um 19:30 schrieb Leroy:

> > Let's face it all these files are plain old txt files formated to what you need.
>
> By extension, you're saying that HTML files are also "plain old text files".
>
> That's not entirely accurate though: While it is true that any POV-Ray
> SDL file, any HTML file, any CSV file and what-have-you-not all qualify
> as plain old text files, the vast majority of plain old text files do
> /not/ qualify as POV-Ray SDL files, HTML files and/or CSV files. So they
> are /special cases/ of plain old text files, and therefore do constitute
> file types of their own. Your statement is a bit like saying that
> chicken are "plain old dinosaurs"; yes, technically they are, but at the
> same time they're a species in their own right.

Don't get me wrong I like "plain old text files" our civilization is built on
them. Any time I come across a file extension I'm not familiar with I open it up
with notepad. That can tell you lot about the program its meant for is
structured. Even if all you get is junk.(binary) I like chicken, I wonder how
dinosaurs taste.

> > But I thought POV team encouraged people to use .mac or something like that for
> > marcos.
>
> Nope; never heard of those for ages, and those extensions are not
> actively encouraged. As a matter of fact I didn't even know POV-Ray for
> Windows had any particular support for those extensions, until Dirk
> mentioned it just now and I searched through the source code in an
> (obviously failed) attempt to prove him wrong.
>
> It's certainly a legacy thing. Besides the Windows editor file open
> dialog, there is no reference to "mcr" as a file extension in the entire
> POV-Ray project, and as for "mac" I didn't bother to investigate because
> the word pops up much more frequently for probably obvious reasons.

I knew I remember something along lines from a long time ago. I never use it.
And I don't blame the team for dropping it. Just think if you decided to have a
file extension for every object type or function. Kayos!