POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3D images : Re: 3D images Server Time
28 Sep 2024 20:29:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D images
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 13 Jan 2016 15:45:01
Message: <web.5696b65077c0d9bd5d6ac23a0@news.povray.org>
> I still don't understand what is the difference between a cross-eye pair
> and a parallel pair? Also, which should I be making for the glasses I
> ordered?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EDB1S4?keywords=stereoscope&qid=1452568122&ref_=sr_1_90&sr=8-90

A parallel pair is when you have the left eye image on the left, and the right
eye image on the right. If the separation is small, you can view these by
looking 'through' them and resolving the 'third' image in between to get the
stereo effect. This is what the viewing glasses use. This is also how dot
stereograms or 'magic eye' pictures work.

A cross-eye pair is swapped; the left eye image is on the right, and the right
eye image on the left. These can be viewed by looking 'in front of' them, by
going slightly cross-eyed to resolve the 'third' image in between to get the
stereo effect. This can be easier than the parallel method, and is not
restricted so much by image size / separation. I don't know if any devices exist
to help viewing these.

hope that helps!
Bill